A burglary is committed in the UK around every 40 seconds, and with this being a UK wide problem it is shocking just how many homeowners neglect their home security measures making their homes vulnerable to potential intruders.
- Majority of Burglaries Happen During The Day – Most people when thing of a burglary tend to imagine it happening during the night, however most UK burglaries actually happen during the day time between the hours of 10:00am and 3:00pm. This is because the majority of people are out at work during the day so there is more opportunity for a burglar to get in and out of a property undisturbed.
- Burglars Rarely Take Household Objects – It is rare for a burglar these days to go into a property and steal a tv or stereo. More often than not when a burglar breaks into a property, they are looking for much smaller but higher value items such as car keys, bank/credit cards and personal identity information. These sort of items are much more valuable to a burglar as they can be used to make online purchases and take out credit. With this said, it is still wise to keep valuables and jewellery stored in a safe place and out of sight.
- Most Burglars Don’t Carry Tools – Burglars are well known for being opportunists. They are often experienced at breaking into properties, and have a keen eye for pin pointing properties they feel are an easy target. Because burglars want to stay unnoticed, and have a quick and easy get away they tend not to bother carrying tools or equipment with them, instead they will use tools they have found around your property such as gardening equipment, so it is important that you tidy up and lock away and tools or equipment you have been using, and keep sheds and garages securely locked at all times.
- 47% Of Burglaries Are Done Spontaneously – When asked most convicted burglars said the majority of burglaries they committed were done with a quick decision when they spotted an opportunity. This is why having visible security measures such as high security locks in place at your property can work well at deterring burglars.
- Someone Is Home During 28% of Burglaries – Most people believe that if their house is occupied then there is less chance of them getting burgled. However, in around 3 in 10 burglaries someone has been home whilst the offence has been committed. This is why it is a good idea to keep doors and windows locked at all times even if you are at home.
- Most Burglaries Are Done By Someone Living Close To You – A scary thought but in most cases the burglar will live within two miles of the property they have targeted. This is why it is important to not follow a strict routine so anyone untoward watching cannot predict your behaviour and when your property will be empty. It is also wise to keep holiday plans quiet until after you have been to avoid word spreading to the wrong people.
If you need to improve your home security, then contact Lime Locks Wirral today - 0151 353 9607